GROWING SAFE AND SUSTAINABLE PRODUCE
The GLOBALG.A.P. Farm Assurer
Matrix is GLOBAL.A.P. licensed farm assurer. The Farm Assurers are independent, trained and approved consultants, on-site advisors and expertise to help producers navigate the steps necessary to implement Good Agricultural Practices and to obtain GLOBALG.A.P. certification. With first-hand knowledge of the GLOBALG.A.P. System and the latest industry developments, Farm Assurers use their expertise to make the standard easier to understand and simplify audit preparations.
Benefits of Working with a GLOBALG.A.P. Farm AssurerHigher Audit Passing Rate: Working with a Farm Assurer who has first-hand knowledge about the GLOBALG.A.P. system and latest developments simplifies your audit preparation and understanding of the standard. That's excellent preparation for GLOBALG.A.P. Certification. Connect with Potential Customers: Farm Assurers can directly link you with selected customers in the supply chain. Extend Your Market Power and Reach: Farm Assurers represent groups of producers. This can help you negotiate better with certification bodies on audit costs or other customers.
• Simplify your audit preparations
• Extend your market power and reach
• Access the latest knowledge and expertise
• Connect with potential customers
• Day to day farm operation advice
• Capacity building on Good Agricultural Practices
• Capacity building on GLOBALG.A.P. standards
• Upgrade your knowledge and competence though GLOBALG.A.P. training
What is GLOBALG.A.P. standard?GLOBALG.A.P. is the internationally recognized standard for farm production ensuring the quality and safety of a final product in the agricultural sector and sustainability of farming activities. GLOBALG.A.P. set out international standards to safeguard food safety, animal welfare, and environmental protection. Global Gap fruit and vegetable standards are based on good cultural practices in farming such as soil management, pest control of the produce pre and postharvest, and packing and storage practices. The Fruit and Vegetables scheme covers the whole agricultural production process of the certified product, from the plant in the ground to non-processed end-product.
GLOBALG.A.P. develops smart farm assurance solutions together with producers, retailers, and other stakeholders from across the food industry. These solutions include standards for safe, socially and environmentally responsible farming practices. GLOBALG.A.P.’s most widely used standards are the Integrated Farm Assurance (IFA) standards for fruit and vegetables, aquaculture, floriculture, and livestock. These standards also form the basis for the GGN label: GLOBALG.A.P.’s consumer label for certified, responsible farming.
The GLOBALG.A.P. - Fruit and Vegetables standard focuses on:• Farmers’ and consumers’ safety and wellness
• Food safety, Traceability of products and production records
• Minimization of agrochemical inputs
• Integrated Crop Management (ICM)
• Efficient resources utilization
• Environmental awareness (including bio diversity)
• Compliance to local and international regulations
• Workers’ health, safety and welfare
• Includes Integrated Crop Management (ICM), Integrated Pest Control (IPC), Quality Management System (QMS), and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
Why do producers need to implement GLOBALG.A.P.?Many retailers are demanding their suppliers and producers to adopt principles of Good Agricultural Practice that are regulated to promote good food hygiene and safety and prioritize consumer health. For this reason, Global GAP has become one of the most popular standards required by retailers and consumers for primary farming. GLOBALG.A.P. offers recognized and respected certification standards on agricultural food crops, livestock, and Aquaculture.
To become GLOBALG.A.P. certified, producers can either apply to a certification body individually or as a group by implementing a quality management system following the GLOBALG.A.P. requirements. It is recommended that producers seek assistance from accredited farm assurer consultants trained and approved by GLOBALG.A.P., such as Matrix’s Consultants, to prepare the farm’s audit by accredited Certification Bodies (CB).
Benefits of GLOBALG.A.P. Certification for businessThe consumers’ increasing demand for confidence in safe and sustainable food, the producers’ need to produce affordable food in a sustainable way and the retailers’ need for a dependable tool for their suppliers. As such, this certification helps you reach new markets and grow your business globally while assuring your customers that your good agricultural practices for food safety and your environmental management practices meet industry-recognized GLOBALG.A.P. requirements. GLOBALG.A.P. is a Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) benchmarked standard.
They benefit by employing cost-effective processes that improve product quality which requires that producers use certified raw materials and inputs. Furthermore, producers are encouraged to use modern farming practices that minimize environmental harm, reduce health risks, and promote safe food production. Moreover, producers get market access and trace their product along the value chain, trade, or collaborate with other GLOBALG.A.P. compliant producers using their Global Gap Number (GGN).
On the other hand, buyers enjoy obtaining certified food safety products with the absence of chemical, biological and physical hazards that value consumers’ health. Accessibility to a network of certified producers that are easily traceable, which promotes integrity, transparency, and cost-effective measures that need no intermediary, is one of the benefits that a buyer enjoys under GLOBALG.A.P..
This will give producers several benefits:• Better and easier access to the market
• Clear agreements with retailers and buyers
• Opportunities for fair competition
• Possible increase in quality and quantity
• access to wider markets
• Demonstrable commitment to producing and trading safe food
• Possible to inform buyer what inputs used for production and its traceability
• Possible reduction of long term production costs
• More effective management of production processes and legal issues
• Higher commitment for improvement
• Improve the efficiency of your farm management
• Comply with legislation on food safety, environmental protection and workers’ health and safety, with an easy HACCP system to put into place
• Benchmark yourself as part of the world’s most widespread farm assurance standard.
• Improves business performance and reduces waste of vital resources
To ensure safe food and good health, GLOBALG.A.P. promotes the control of pests to minimum levels by employing Integrated Pest Management (IPM), Integrated Crop Management, Quality Management System (QMS), and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP). For food producers, it is crucial to be GLOBALG.A.P. when targeting an international market or planning to export food produce. Moreover, GLOBALG.A.P. provides easy access to the local and international market, improved internal audits, and good quality products.
GLOBALG.A.P. Certification covers:• Food safety and traceability
• Environment (including biodiversity)
• Workers’ health, safety and welfare
• Animal welfare
• Includes Integrated Crop Management (ICM), Integrated Pest Control (IPC),
• Quality Management System (QMS), and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
How can you prepare for certification?• It is important that you and your company are positive, committed, and set clear target schedule for implementation and assessment.
• To prepare for certification you need to become familiar with the GLOBALG.A.P. standards and compliances.
• Clear dialogue with the buyers: Consultation between farmers, exporters, processors, retailers and buyers on quality and quantity will facilitate cooperation, and support compliance with specified requirements
• Knowing what knowledge and expertise is required, using the support of experts and consultants when needed
• Planning of production: Production operations can be planned in order to comply with the standard requirements
• Management of input: All the inputs to the production processes are evaluated according to the standard requirements
• Management of product on farm: produce safely, to preserve safety, legality and quality
• Investments in farm: To keep equipment well maintained, manage waste disposal, provide training for employees, maintain a high quality and safe working environment
• Record keeping: A milestone for implementing GLOBALG.A.P. and a prerequisite for traceability
• Matrix is a farm assurer: We navigate the steps necessary to implement Good Agricultural Practices and to obtain relevant certification services to the GLOBALG.A.P. IFA - Fruit and Vegetables standard